Create PDF files using press optimized settings with all fonts embedded. Please review recommended settings for creating PDF files. Client is responsible for using correct print settings for creating PDF files.
Native QuarkXPress documents must include:
- QuarkXpress document (v4-v7).
- All pictures (clip art, logos, graphics) used in your document. Your graphic files must be EPS or TIFF format.
- All fonts used in the ad documents and fonts used in placed graphics.
- All items (above) compressed in a .sit or .zip file.
Fonts must be converted to outlines for all EPS files. All colors must be converted to CMYK. Please save EPS files with a TIFF or PICT preview.
TIFF or JPEG
We accept ads saved as 300 dpi TIFF or JPEG files. We recommend files with type be created at 600 dpi for best type legibility. JPEG files should be saved at maximum or highest compression.
Since we use Macintosh computers, all files created using PC-compatible applications must be saved in a format our software can read. Save files as PDF, EPS, TIFF or JPEG files following the parameters outlined above.
- Fonts must be embedded, converted to outlines or supplied for proper output of your file.
- Do not use your application’s menu styles (bold, italic, outline, shadow). These effects will not print correctly. Instead choose the actual bold or italic version of the font.
- If supplying postscript fonts, be sure to include both the printer and screen font files.
- TIFF and EPS are the preferred file formats for graphics placed in ads. If sending materials separately, you may send jpeg files which will be converted to tiffs for final output. Please, no gifs, bmps, wmfs or picts.
- Line art should be scanned at 1200 dpi; tonal images, grayscale or color, should be 300 dpi.
- Place images at 100% in your application. Increasing or decreasing the size within your application may result in undesirable images.
- Create all EPS files with a TIFF or PICT preview.
- All colors need to be converted to CMYK process colors including the supporting elements inside the ad.
- Don’t use hairline rules — these may be invisible when produced on an imagesetter. If you want a thin line, use a .25 point rule instead.
For all submissions
- Double check your ad for correct dimensions.
- Your ad has been proofread for typographical and grammatical errors.
- All rules are at least .25 points thick.
- All required files have been included in a single compressed archive file.
- Make sure you can print your final ad document. Chances are, if you can’t print it, we won’t be able to either.
If your ad is black & white
- All artwork is line art or grayscale TIFF or EPS files.
- Line art is 1200 dpi; grayscale files are 300 dpi.
If your ad is color
- All elements are CMYK TIFF or EPS files at 300 dpi.
- All color is set to CMYK.
If you are sending a native application file
- Your archive file contains the document.
- Your archive file contains all graphics used in the ad.
- Your archive file contains all fonts used in the ad, as well as the fonts used in the logo and any graphics.
- Your fonts do not use menu styles. Please, no bitmap fonts.
- You have not renamed any graphics since placing them in the document.
- Ensure that the pasteboard surrounding your document is empty and there are no non-printable items in the ad document.
- Delete all unused style sheets and colors when you’re finished with your document.
If you are sending a PDF file
- Printer settings and/or Acrobat Distiller were set up properly.
- Your ad was distilled with fonts embedded.
- All images are CMYK images, not RGB.
If you are sending an EPS file
- Your archive file includes the EPS file with a TIFF or PICT preview.
- Fonts are converted to outlines.
If you are sending a TIFF or JPG file
- The file is 600 dpi for type legibility.
- The file is CMYK color-mode.